Monday, December 14, 2009

Artist Statement

Karl Koch
December 14, 2009

Everybody has a different view of the world – sometimes slight, sometimes dramatic. My process for creating art is to make something that is reflective of me, my beliefs, and my perspectives. I am unique, as is every viewer to a particular work, and I see this as a way for people to look in on my world, much the same way I look at other people’s art in hopes to get a look into their world. I have very much embraced the new forms of media that come from the Internet, be it blogs, Youtube, or other new ventures. This is where I feel my art works best. I, like many others, see the Internet as a place where one can reach an almost limitless audience. Producing media has provided a means to express myself and connect with people all over the world. I don’t want to hide diversity, but rather explore it and find common interests within it.

Working in a group setting can sometimes present challenges to this way of thinking. Collaboration is a give and take experience, but one that can be exciting and fun. It can seem frustrating to lose one’s unique vision for the better of the group, but it can often times improve the final product. Just as everyone’s vision is different, working in a group allows me to create a result that is sometimes completely different from what I would have made on my own. I may not always like to compromise between group members, but it is an interesting experience to see how other people’s minds work when given the same topic, and I can become a better artist by listening to this. Giving up a small part of my individuality to see things from different angles is a sacrifice that is often worth it in the end.

Art can take many forms, and people are finding new ways to express themselves each and every day. In today’s information age, there is no need to censor or alter anything I create for fear that it won’t see the light of day. I am free to apply each and every emotion that I feel best represents myself. It would be foolish to expect everyone to like what I create. I have a very specific niche that I enjoy. There is a very diverse and large world out there, and I have found that there really is an audience for everything. It simply becomes a process of accessing your art and choosing the best method for getting your work out there.

Making art comes down to two things for me: time and effort. These are two very different ideas, yet they are a lot alike. Time does not mean that the longer I work on something the better it is; it simply means that I need to have the time to create a product that I am satisfied with. This could be as short as a few minutes or as long as a few months. Only I decide when I am satisfied. The second aspect of making art is effort. I am influenced by artists and media producers that pour their heart and soul into their work, making it a reflection of themselves. One can instantly see if an artist is genuine in their product, and this is something that I strive to accomplish in everything I create.

No comments:

Post a Comment